M
Milica Nikolic
Guest
Germany will arrive at the 2026 European Championships in Ljubljana with one of the strongest women’s line-ups in the field, headed by top seed Sabine WINTER and featuring Ying HAN, Nina MITTELHAM, Annett KAUFMANN and Franziska SCHREINER. The top four all enter the Championships with significant ambitions in the Women’s Singles event.
WINTER heads the German challenge after an outstanding 2026 season in which she won the Europe Top 16 title in Montreux. The 33-year-old is a two-time European Women’s Doubles champion and five-time European Team champion, while her best Singles result at the European Championships remains the bronze medal she won in Munich in 2022.
Despite entering Ljubljana as the top seed, WINTER is taking little notice of her position in the draw.
“I haven’t thought much about the seeding so far. Unfortunately, being seeded doesn’t win you matches. What it does show me, however, is that on a good day I definitely belong among Europe’s best and can beat anyone there. Unfortunately, you don’t always play equally well and you aren’t in top form every day. Every one of my opponents there can play very good table tennis.”
The European Singles crown remains one of WINTER’s major ambitions, although her preparations have been complicated by the cervical disc problem that interrupted her season during the summer. She has since returned to full training.
“It’s true that becoming European Singles champion is one of my sporting dreams. I had actually set that as my goal for this October in Ljubljana. But in recent weeks I definitely haven’t looked ready to win the title. Becoming European champion is extremely difficult anyway. The slipped disc I suffered this summer certainly hasn’t made it any easier – and unfortunately it doesn’t simply disappear from one day to the next. But I am back in full training and, especially over the past week, I have been able to train very intensively. My form in training is improving. The dream for 2026 is not over yet.”
Alongside WINTER, Germany can count on three-time Europe Top 16 champion Ying HAN. The 43-year-old is also a five-time European champion, with four Team titles and the Mixed Doubles crown she won in 2018.
HAN, however, expects a particularly demanding battle in Ljubljana, not least from her own teammates.
“My main opponents will once again come from Germany – and the European Championships are even more difficult than the Europe Top 16, where for a long time only two representatives from each nation were allowed to play. But I’m not putting myself under any pressure ahead of the European Championships. I’ll simply try to fight for a medal in Slovenia.”
Nina MITTELHAM has come increasingly close to the Singles crown at the last two editions. She won silver in Munich in 2022 before adding bronze in Linz two years later. The 29-year-old already owns European titles in Women’s Doubles, Mixed Doubles and the Team event, leaving Singles as the missing piece in her European Championships collection.
“Unfortunately, it’s not automatic, but it is definitely my goal! After all, it’s the only title I am still missing at the European Championships. I have worked well and played well over the past few months, so I am travelling to the European Championships in good form. I hope I can play my best table tennis, and then we’ll see how far that takes me. It certainly won’t happen by itself.”
At 20, Annett KAUFMANN represents the younger generation of Germany’s challenge. Already European champion at U15, U19 and U21 level and a three-time German champion, she will now look for her first Women’s Singles medal at the senior European Championships.
“I’m in very good form at the moment, even though I recently had to take a short break because of some minor elbow pain. I have developed very positively since the last European Individual Championships in 2024. Winning a Singles medal at the European Championships would be really cool. As for the colour, I wouldn’t mind for my first medal this time – it would be the first step. The title is definitely still missing from my collection and I absolutely want to win it one day. It certainly won’t be a walk in the park, but I’ve already beaten many good players. Naturally, that gives me confidence. But at such an important tournament, all the other players will obviously be highly motivated as well.”
Germany will also have strong options in the Doubles events. WINTER will partner HAN in Women’s Doubles, while KAUFMANN joins MITTELHAM. In Mixed Doubles, KAUFMANN will play alongside Patrick FRANZISKA and MITTELHAM with Benedikt DUDA.
HAN believes her partnership with WINTER could be particularly effective.
“We’ve trained together quite well and we’re approaching it without pressure. I think we’re quite a good pairing. Maybe I even have a better chance of winning a medal together with Sabine than in Singles. One of our strengths is that, because of our playing materials as well, we are very uncomfortable opponents for anyone. And of course Sabine can immediately attack with her strong forehand whenever the opportunity arises. Basically, we have everything! I’m looking forward to the Doubles!”
The post WINTER: Being seeded doesn’t win you matches first appeared on European table tennis union.
Continue reading...
WINTER heads the German challenge after an outstanding 2026 season in which she won the Europe Top 16 title in Montreux. The 33-year-old is a two-time European Women’s Doubles champion and five-time European Team champion, while her best Singles result at the European Championships remains the bronze medal she won in Munich in 2022.
Despite entering Ljubljana as the top seed, WINTER is taking little notice of her position in the draw.
“I haven’t thought much about the seeding so far. Unfortunately, being seeded doesn’t win you matches. What it does show me, however, is that on a good day I definitely belong among Europe’s best and can beat anyone there. Unfortunately, you don’t always play equally well and you aren’t in top form every day. Every one of my opponents there can play very good table tennis.”
The European Singles crown remains one of WINTER’s major ambitions, although her preparations have been complicated by the cervical disc problem that interrupted her season during the summer. She has since returned to full training.
“It’s true that becoming European Singles champion is one of my sporting dreams. I had actually set that as my goal for this October in Ljubljana. But in recent weeks I definitely haven’t looked ready to win the title. Becoming European champion is extremely difficult anyway. The slipped disc I suffered this summer certainly hasn’t made it any easier – and unfortunately it doesn’t simply disappear from one day to the next. But I am back in full training and, especially over the past week, I have been able to train very intensively. My form in training is improving. The dream for 2026 is not over yet.”
Alongside WINTER, Germany can count on three-time Europe Top 16 champion Ying HAN. The 43-year-old is also a five-time European champion, with four Team titles and the Mixed Doubles crown she won in 2018.
HAN, however, expects a particularly demanding battle in Ljubljana, not least from her own teammates.
“My main opponents will once again come from Germany – and the European Championships are even more difficult than the Europe Top 16, where for a long time only two representatives from each nation were allowed to play. But I’m not putting myself under any pressure ahead of the European Championships. I’ll simply try to fight for a medal in Slovenia.”
Nina MITTELHAM has come increasingly close to the Singles crown at the last two editions. She won silver in Munich in 2022 before adding bronze in Linz two years later. The 29-year-old already owns European titles in Women’s Doubles, Mixed Doubles and the Team event, leaving Singles as the missing piece in her European Championships collection.
“Unfortunately, it’s not automatic, but it is definitely my goal! After all, it’s the only title I am still missing at the European Championships. I have worked well and played well over the past few months, so I am travelling to the European Championships in good form. I hope I can play my best table tennis, and then we’ll see how far that takes me. It certainly won’t happen by itself.”
At 20, Annett KAUFMANN represents the younger generation of Germany’s challenge. Already European champion at U15, U19 and U21 level and a three-time German champion, she will now look for her first Women’s Singles medal at the senior European Championships.
“I’m in very good form at the moment, even though I recently had to take a short break because of some minor elbow pain. I have developed very positively since the last European Individual Championships in 2024. Winning a Singles medal at the European Championships would be really cool. As for the colour, I wouldn’t mind for my first medal this time – it would be the first step. The title is definitely still missing from my collection and I absolutely want to win it one day. It certainly won’t be a walk in the park, but I’ve already beaten many good players. Naturally, that gives me confidence. But at such an important tournament, all the other players will obviously be highly motivated as well.”
Germany will also have strong options in the Doubles events. WINTER will partner HAN in Women’s Doubles, while KAUFMANN joins MITTELHAM. In Mixed Doubles, KAUFMANN will play alongside Patrick FRANZISKA and MITTELHAM with Benedikt DUDA.
HAN believes her partnership with WINTER could be particularly effective.
“We’ve trained together quite well and we’re approaching it without pressure. I think we’re quite a good pairing. Maybe I even have a better chance of winning a medal together with Sabine than in Singles. One of our strengths is that, because of our playing materials as well, we are very uncomfortable opponents for anyone. And of course Sabine can immediately attack with her strong forehand whenever the opportunity arises. Basically, we have everything! I’m looking forward to the Doubles!”
The post WINTER: Being seeded doesn’t win you matches first appeared on European table tennis union.
Continue reading...


